Sunday, May 15, 2022

What's next? The Birth of A Book

Today I retired (click link for Original LinkedIn Post)

Posted August 7th, 2021 on Linked In


What's Next?


Today, I retired.


After thirty-two years, more than 1032 weeks, or roughly 7229 days of forty, fifty, sometimes sixty hours a week. Many holidays including New Year's Eve, Christmas, 4th of July's when we just needed someone to 'jump on a line' I am no longer that someone.


Thinking back…


Mid-April 1989; I was twenty-two years old with a few years of professional experience post-high school. The day was hot and humid. Dark skirt and blazer, a power suit that looked like I worked for a Fortune 100, was the uniform for job interviews. Outside the United Engineers building in a small town in New Jersey, I parked on the second-level parking. I took a few deep breaths. If I got this job, I could work one full-time professional career and not three part-time minimum wage jobs. I pulled the handle to open the door, and just before I stepped out, at the very last minute, I popped out my soft contacts and threw on my glasses. I needed to look intelligent and mature for this. I would be working with computers. I got that job! 


Today, I say goodbye to many I have met along the way. A few will stay in touch. A few will cross paths again. There are many I will miss. Many that have made imprints on me that will last forever.  


For those that might have interest in the next part of my journey? I have already begun my new role. It contains three parts or goals since I’m a metrics driven person:


- First, a personal goal to get my master's degree, a commitment I made to myself but never completed.


- Second, Professionally, I have signed on to write a book. As a poor starving artist [insert smiley face emoji], I will be posting incessantly to fulfill my need to write business posts and remind all of you to buy my book. I’ll be working with #creatorsinstitute to publish Dancing Naked in The Rain during the summer of 2022. My audience will be anyone that needs to be reminded to live, really live when life gets you down ... stay tuned for more on the topic (this is called a cliff-hanger).


- And third, let's call it emotionally or even spiritually, a goal to live life before it's too late and check off more items than you can image on my bucket list (see second goal).

The inspiration for my journey towards retirement started a few years ago as a young widow. I have faced mortality multiple times, but more so the day Ray, my husband of 24 years, was diagnosed with a terminal illness in 2012 and given 12 to 24 months to live. 


For many years I have followed the path of my bucket list. It has led me around the world on memorable, exciting, and sometimes even dangerous adventures. I've slept in an igloo above the arctic circle and surfed in the pacific. Island hopped the Greek Islands. I have kissed the Blarney Stone. Lunched at Stonehenge. Driven an Indy Car. I've had mud, dirt, and sweat in places the sun has never seen. 


In February, I remarried. I am so lucky to have a new partner in crime, also a widow, that is excited about adventures and tolerates my excessive planning. 


 The final decision came earlier this year at our wedding. My daughter toasted my [our] remarriage, She began her toast with, "Really, it's because I've tried to pull what this day means into words, and that's been really hard. As you know, nine years ago this April, I lost the man that I thought would be here for all of life's moments. I reflect on the last decade almost every day. And the thing I've reflected on the most was the sound of my mom's laugh or the sound of her eye roll. Good job with the laughter. Thank you. That faint hum and calm that kind of settles in the house. The playing with the dogs. The chaos that goes on outside of the 9 to 5. 


Nine years ago, I was truly not if sure this day was going to happen. And now, don't get me wrong, Mark can only do a 24-inch box jump, which is like, sorry pal, yikes. And he only likes Coors Light, which is embarrassing. And he's just starting to get into the Flyers, oh wow, right, sacrilegious. Right? Crazy?  

 

But what I can say is, I hear my mom's laugh again. I hear the silent calm of the hum through the house. The music plays through our speakers again. Now there are more photos than just me on our walls. Special shout out to my new siblings, Kristen, and Mark. Thank you for joining me on the walls that were filled with my face. And it's because of you, Mark, that it again feels like home. 

Some things I have said over and over again --- My mom has walked through fire and has come out the other side. Burned, bruised but never broken. And that's her. She carries the world, she carries the family on her back, and she never asks for anything, and even at her lowest, she rises. And what I am most excited for is that now there is someone on the other side to carry her too. Mom, you are my absolute North Star. I could not be happier for you to start your next fairy tale with Mark." 


For many years at work, I have been known as Donna "DoIT" McCart. I worked hard to build that brand. I hope others will carry on the steward leadership and can-do attitude after I am gone. After today I will be Donna Welser. 


Thank you, UnitedHealth Group. Thank you, Optum and Optum Tech, plus all its leaders, especially John, James, and Phil. I will be forever grateful for allowing me to be carried by this company at my lowest through the death of my husband, various family members, other tragedies, and life lessons. I will never forget the values you have instilled in me. I hope many ripples occur from my echo based on your lessons.


 My bucket list awaits!!! If you have an excellent idea for me to add, let me know!! 

My best to all of you! Take care until our paths cross! And if you have the chance I hope you dance. Or even better, dance naked in the rain. 


Best,

Donna "Do IT" McCart

#dancingnakedintherain, #creatorsinstitute, #lifelessons, #leadership, #bucketlist, #positiveattitude, #storyteller, #bookcreators, #writing 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Direct Quotes from Rue's Butterfly